Competa best things to see and do
White village nicknamed the Ledge of the Axarquia
One of the most beautiful white villages in Costa del Sol – Axarquia
The first writings on Competa date only from 1487, year of the reconquest of the village by the Catholic kings, putting an end to the “Al Andalus” period. But the village seems to take its name from an ancient Roman camp “Compita-Orum”, which means the crossroads. A crossroads therefore which was a place of commerce, festivals and offerings.
Competa is known for its beauty, its hikes, the tradition of ceramics since the moorish period, its location, almost 700 meters above sea level, at the foot of the Sierra de Almijara with views of the Mediterranean Sea. This has earned it the nickname of the Costa del Sol ledge.
The pics of the village are at the bottom of the article.
Competa is famous for its vineyard and its wines (DO Malaga).
A sweet wine, made from moscatel grapes, dried on the ground. An ancestral culture and unique in the world. There is also a fabulous fiesta to participate each year: the night of wine, on August 15 ! (a tip: come in the morning to see all the events around grapes, vines and wine). The evening is dedicated to flamenco and verdiales.
In the village don’t miss going for a walk or even having lunch in a hamlet that is absolutely unique for its history, its atmosphere, its beauty… El Acebuchal nicknamed the Lost Village
Discover Competa and its wines with a passionate guide
Here are a wonderful tours (from Torre del Mar, Torrox, Nerja):
- You will discover the “Wine and Sun Tour ». This tour is dedicated to the visit of the villages of Competa, Torrox and Sayalonga with the visit of producers and wineries in villages of Axarquia.
To discover the tour in detail and price:
- You will discover the “Ruta de la Pasa Tour » (The Raisin and Moscatel Tour). This tour is dedicated to discover all about raisins and Moscatel produced in Axarquia. This Tour will be held in villages as Moclinejo, Almachar, El Borge.
In this link, you will find all details (only possible from mid-August to the end of October during the harvest)
What to do in Competa ?
- La noche del vino, August 15
- Romería y Fiesta de San Sebastián, January 20
- Semana Santa, late March and early April
- Día de la Cruz, May 3
- Fiesta de San Juan, June 24
- Fiesta de la Inmaculada, June 26
- Competa Fair, in July
- Feria de San Sebastián, end of July
In this link: find the 50 activities and experiences around Competa
Where to sleep in Competa?
Holiday homes, villas, guest houses, hotels,….
Discover other beautiful places in the Andalusia blog pages.
Here is the link to receive our newsletter from the andaluciamia.com blog
If you are in the area for a few days, here is a selection of great activities :