Canillas de Albaida best things to see and do
A "very" white village
Visit Canillas de Albaida, an authentic white village in Axarquía
In this article you will find the essential information to visit Canillas de Albaida
- A few words about Canillas de Albaida
- The origins of the village
- Visiting Canillas de Albaida: what to see?
- What to do in Canillas de Albaida?
- hiking trails around the village
- guided tours
- Where is Canillas de Albaida?
- Book an accommodation
- Some useful links
- Experiences to discover in the province of Málaga
A few words about Canillas de Albaida
The village is located at the entrance to the Sierras de Tejeda, Almijara and Alhama Natural Park (40,000 hectares of protected nature, shared between the provinces of Málaga and Granada).
Canillas has an important Arab past, from the period of Al Andalus, as do many of the villages of La Axarquía.
The origins of the village
The village takes its name from the Al Andalus period, from the word alba. This whiteness does not come from the fact that it is a white village but from the small white flowers that surrounded the village at that time.
Today the village is known as La Perla de la Axarquía.
Visiting Canillas de Albaida: what to see?
The church in the centre of the village, a small wonder!
The bell tower of this church is the old minaret of what was once a mosque!
The central square of the village is absolutely beautiful.
Walking through the narrow streets of the village.
Santa Ana hermitage
From this hermitage we can enjoy an exceptional view of the Sierra de Almijara :
What to do in Canillas de Albaida?
In the surroundings it is possible to find very nice activities:
- horse riding, on the beach or in the mountains
- diving in Nerja and Torrox
- guided tours (villages of Axarquia, Cordoba, Alhambra,…)
- via ferrata (Caminito del Rey,…)
- hiking (El Saltillo with the hanging bridge,…)
- canyoning (in the rio Verde,…)
- visit of caves
Use the following link to access all the activities to do. during your holidays. This link provides you with all the details of each activity.
Walks around the village
This is an ideal village for hikers. There are several starting from the centre of the village. A very nice hike leads to the village of Archez: the rio Turvilla – ruta de los molinos hike.
Next to the village, 3km away, there is the Fabrica de la Luz hike. This hike allows you to see beautiful landscapes. In the summer, it is possible to find some coolness along the river.
A very good local guide, Cipriano, offers thematic and seasonal guided tours of Canillas de Albaida and the surrounding area.
The route of the white Almohad villages (often called Mudejar)
This one-day tour takes in 5 white villages of La Axarquía, including Canillas de Albaida.
The guide starts the tour from Torre del Mar, Torrox, Nerja.
This tour is offered all year round through the most authentic villages of the area. Here is the link for details and booking: The Almohad White Villages Tour.
The themes of the tours are: Frigiliana Tour, the wine route, the olive oil route, ….
The guided tours are always done in small groups (2 to 8 people max.) to discover the authentic Axarquia.
In the following link you will find all the details and prices of the tours he offers.
Here you can find all the guided tours in Axarquia from Torrox, Nerja and Torre del Mar.
Below you will find links to the main fiestas and ferias in the village:
- Romería de San Antón, January 17
- Semana Santa, late March and early April
- Canillas de Albaida Fair, first weekend in August
- Feria de Ntra. Sra. del Rosario, from October 7 to 11
Where is Canillas de Albaida on the map?
Some useful links
Here is a great car rental agency in Andalusia and more specifically at Malaga airport : book a rental car.
If you are in Andalucia as part of a tour with several major cities to visit, here are some links that may be of interest:
- Discover must-sees before visiting Cordoba
- Visit Malaga on foot.
- All you need to know about Granada, the Alhambra, the Albaicin neighbourhood before visiting Granada
- If you are passing through the geographical centre of Andalusia, then you can visit Antequera, with the incredible natural site of El Torcal right next door.
Experiences to discover in the province of Malaga
Find more ideas for visits to authentic Andalusia: see the blog pages on Andalucia.
Here is the link to receive our newsletter from the andaluciamia.com blog