Colmenar is a village on the Costa de Sol in Axarquia, on the border with the “Montes de Malaga”.
This village takes its name from the main activity carried out for centuries during Al Andalus. In Spanish: colmenar, means the apiary, and colmena: a beehive. A landowner, Hamet el Zuque, owned a large number of beehives at that time. When the land was bought back in 1488 after the reconquista, the name remained. Even today, there are many beehives and the honey from the village is among the most famous in the region. In fact, the “Museo del miel de Málaga” (Málaga Honey Museum) is located in this village and is very interesting to visit.
Colmenar is located in a land of contrasts between valleys and mountains and offers beautiful spots for walking, hiking and climbing. The neighbouring village of Riogordo is also worth a visit in the Alta Axarquía.
Colmenar, the larder of Málaga
Colmenar is known as the larder of the province of Málaga. It is famous for its honey, olives, cheeses and sausages. There are, and this is quite rare in the region, wheat fields also around the village.
Among the culinary specialities:
- the plato de los montes (plate of the mountains), an assortment of lomo, chorizo, potatoes, peppers and fried egg.
- Borrachuelos (cider fritters),*
- Roscos (pastries)
- Carne de membrillo (quince paste), a little wonder with local cheese.
To discover all these local delicacies, it is best to come in December during the “Feria del Mosto y de la Chacina” (young wine and sausage festival). During this festival there are also several flamenco music events and also verdiales (ancestral music and dance of the region).
What to see in Colmenar ?
- Take a walk through its narrow streets
- Admire the 360° view from the Ermita de la Candelaria, over the Camarolos-Chamizo and El Jobo mountains. Colmenar is one of the gateways to the Montes de Málaga Natural Park (5000 hectares).
- Visit the Malaga Honey Museum. It is located in the old house of the Hermandad de Labradores (Brotherhood of Farmers). It is probably the most representative building in Colmenar.
- See the church of La Asuncion
Festivities in Colmenar
- Feria de Colmenar, early August
- Jornadas Gastronomicas, early October,
- Dia de la pipa, end of April, (Bean Day)
- Fiesta de la Candelaria, late January-early February
- Fiesta del Mosto y la Chacina, early December,