Almachar best things to see and do
The white village of Almachar in Axarquia , is a typical village of the region, which has remained authentic. It is also famous for its local gastronomy and in particular for the production of raisins and ajoblanco (cold drink with almonds, olive oil and garlic). It is one of the gastronomic symbols of the province of Malaga in Andalucia.
Almachar is a village that cultivates vines (in particular the moscatel grape ). It produces wine but above all dry grapes (DO pasa de Malaga). At the very heart of the village, at the end of the summer, you can see here raisins drying out on the paseros (a spectacle!)
At the end of the article, I invite you to take 3 minutes to watch the movie made in 1960 on the grape harvest in this village (just click on the last pic) .
If you come to the village in September you will find exactly the same typical scenes today. A total change of scenery in the heart of the traditions of this part of southern Spain.
This village was born during the Al-Andalus period, under Muslim rule. The layout of its alleys reveals its moorish past all around the San Mateo church (built on the old mosque of the village). Its name comes from the arabic language and the term Maysar or Machar, which means “land of meadows”. Formerly, the village was called Macharalhayate.
What to see in Almachar ?
- The gardens of El Forfe. They have a particular attraction because they offer splendid panoramic views. From there you can contemplate the surroundings of the Almáchar river.
- La Cueva del Moro. According to an old legend, this cave shelters a treasure hidden by the moors during their exodus following the reconquista.
- The Church of San Mateo and its particular architecture
- the Raisin Museum which will show you the process of making one of Almáchar’s most typical products.
For wine and vines lovers
If you are in Axarquia Costa del Sol around Torre del Mar, Torrox or Nerja : I recommend you a guide to make you discover all treasures about local wines. He offers two tours, you’ll see all information in the links below
What to do in Almachar ?
- Feria de Ntra. Sra. del Amparo, in July
- Feria del ajoblanco, in September
- Feria y Procesión del Santo Cristo de la Banda Verde, in May
- Encuentro de Pastorales, in December
In this link: find the 50 activities and experiences around Almachar
Below you will find some examples of activities to do during your stay. Just click on one of the activities shown in the photo to find out more:
Here all you need : to prepare your trip to authentic Andalucia
Want to continue the trip to Andalucia?
Each month, ideas for visits and discoveries
Where to sleep in Almachar ?
Holiday homes, villas, guest houses
A famous local guide offers Tours in Axarquia to discover its typical villages, history and traditions. Discover in this link : the offer of tours and excursions in the Axarquia – Costa del Sol
Are you planning to stay in Almachar ?
In this link find : 8 offers for holiday homes, villas, guest houses in Almachar