Holy Week 2023 in Andalucia is without doubt the most important week of the year
This article on Semana Santa – Holy Week 2023 in Andalucia – is presented through the following topics:
- A few words about Holy Week in Andalucia
- The dates of Holy Week 2023 in Andalucia
- The symbols of Semana Santa
- A wonderful little film about Semana Santa
- Discover three unique processions in Andalucia during Holy Week
- Experiencing Holy Week in Velez Malaga
- Some useful links (hotel reservations, car rental)
A few words about Holy Week in Andalucia
The strong image of Semana Santa in Andalucia is, of course, the procession with the penitents carrying the thrones.
These penitents are also called “Nazarenes” and all belong to a religious brotherhood (Hermandad and Cofradia), each with their own thrones.
I invite you to watch the video above for a full immersion in these incredible processions. The atmosphere and emotion are very visible in this video (5 min) by director Jason Li.
Many Andalusians, including the most famous, Antonio Banderas in Malaga, belong to a brotherhood. And it is an honour for everyone to be able to be one day one of the bearers of the throne.
The dates of Holy Week 2023
The Semana Santa will take place from 2 to 9 April 2023. At the bottom of the article you will find several posters of the Semana Santa in several cities of Andalucia.
It should be noted that in Andalucia, Semana Santa is celebrated in a more ‘festive’ way, and in a less solemn way than in the rest of Spain. Semana Santa is the week before Easter and commemorates the Passion of Christ.
The symbols and strong images of Semana Santa in Andalusia
- The Capirote: the pointed cap worn by the penitents
- The mantilla: it is a garment to cover the hair, with a comb. It is black in colour and worn by women.
- The mantilla symbolises the pain and suffering during the days of the Passion of Christ.
- Pasos (or imagenes): these are the statues that are installed on the thrones during the processions
- La saeta: a song of a religious nature (which is now part of the flamenco repertoire). It is an ode to the Virgin or to Christ. When the procession passes, the audience is usually completely silent and a saetero starts to sing a saeta next to the throne. It is a moving moment: there is only the voice, without any musical instrument, and in total silence.
A wonderful little film about Semana Santa
Holy Week in Andalucia is lived with great fervour
For a week, Andalucia takes on special colours and the perfume in the streets is a mixture of incense, orange blossom and the hot wax of candles. It lives to the rhythm of processions and representations of the Passion of Christ.
In this video from Semana Santa, scenes were shot in Malaga, Ronda, Alhaurin El Grande and Velez Malaga.
Here are three very special processions in Andalucia
The Procession of Christ (Cristo del Consuelo) of the Gypsies in Granada
This procession is very lively, you can hear flamenco music. What makes this procession so special is when it passes through the historic gypsy quarter on the Sacromonte mountain. It is customary to light fires in front of the cave dwellings. This procession is a must-see!
The Procession of the Cristo de la Buena muerte (or Cristo de Mena) in Malaga
This procession is linked to a military order, to the legionaries of the Spanish army. The way of carrying the paso, the statue of Christ, is very particular. And to hear the legion sing “el novio de la muerte” (the bridegroom of death) during this procession is really very impressive.
Below: a passage from this procession with the legion
The procession to the Ermita de los Verdiales in the province of Malaga
In this link you will find all the information about the verdiales and three videos about the Procession of Ntra Sra de los Dolores. This procession with music and singing of verdiales is unique and takes place on Palm Sunday. Atmosphere guaranteed! It is not easy to get to the hermitage, but this procession is worth experiencing once!
Experiencing Holy Week in Velez Malaga
Malaga’s “little sister” can be the ideal opportunity to discover the Semana Santa in Andalucia. Its location, close to the sea, close to Malaga and a city centre with 3000 years of history will offer a rich stay.
The Semana Santa in Velez-Malaga is one of the most famous in Andalucia despite the modest size of the town.
Some useful links for Semana Santa 2022
Here is a very useful link for your travels: find a rental car from your place of stay.
To book accommodation during Holy Week in Andalusia, it is advisable to do so in advance. Reservations are often made several months in advance. Prices are also higher.
In this link you will find: all the accommodation in Malaga.
In this link you will find the available accomodation in Granada.
Book a hotel in Seville for Holy Week
Two others Holy Week posters 2023 in Spain, in Andalucia.
Here is the link to receive our newsletter from the andaluciamia.com blog