Velez Malaga Holy Week 2023
Holy Week in Velez Malaga: Fiesta de Interés Turístico Nacional en España
Here is the essential information to discover the Holy Week in Velez Malaga :
- A few words about Velez Malaga
- The dates of Holy Week
- What makes Holy Week in Velez Málaga unique
- Processions and itineraries 2023
- Where is Velez Malaga?
- Things to do in Velez Malaga
- Booking accommodation
- Some useful links
A few words about Velez Malaga
Velez-Malaga is located in Axarquia in the province of Malaga. It is 40km from Malaga, which is considered the big sister.
Velez-Malaga is a small town off the beaten track with an incredible historical and cultural heritage, rich in 3000 years of history.
The Holy Week celebrations in Velez-Malaga are very well known throughout Andalucia, and in particular throughout the province of Malaga.
Dates of Holy Week
The dates of Holy Week in 2023 are as follows: 2 to 9 April.
The poster for Holy Week 2023 in Velez-Malaga is a work by local artist Yolanda Pérez Camacho.
What makes Holy Week in Velez-Malaga unique
Semana Santa in Velez-Malaga is very well known. As such, it is recognised as a “Fiesta de Interés Turístico Nacional en España“.
La Semana Santa in video
In the video, below, by director Jason Li, you can see the intensity and emotion that can be felt during the processions. In the video, we can see processions in the cities of Malaga, Ronda, Velez-Malaga and Alhaurin el Grande.
The scene filmed in Velez-Malaga is a procession of the Nuestra Sra de la Soledad brotherhood:
The peculiarities of Semana Santa in Velez Malaga
There are 19 brotherhoods (cofradías) in Velez-Malaga. They all hold at least one procession. During Semana Santa we can see 27 thrones in procession! The latest brotherhood to be recognised in 2011 is the Cofradía de Nuestro Padre Jesús Coronado de Espinas.
Easter Sunday morning, which celebrates the resurrected Jesus, sees all the brotherhoods marching through the town!
The processions in Velez Malaga have 3 particularities:
- The penitents (penitentes) are those who wear the cone-shaped hat (el capirote) locally called el cucurucho.
- The Nazarenes (nazarenos) are those who parade behind the throne but do not have this pointed hat.
- The “horquilleros” are those who carry the throne. In Málaga they are called the men of the throne (hombres de trono). In Velez-Málaga they are called this because in the past they used to carry forks (horquillas) to support the throne during the stops. It is customary for them to distribute “peladillas” (sweet almonds) to the children.
- The processions move more slowly than in the rest of Andalucia. The penitents walk slowly, using a short step to advance. It is even referred to as the “Velez step”. However, this step has now been adopted in other towns in Andalucia!
Two churches to visit in Velez Malaga during Holy Week
Church of Santa María La Mayor de la Encarnación
Another demonstration of the Veleños’ fervour for Semana Santa is the existence of a Holy Week museum in the city. It is housed in a church that is itself a former mosque!
This museum is located in the church of Santa María La Mayor de la Encarnación. Entrance is free and the museum is open all year round, from Tuesday to Sunday.
Church of Nuestra Virgen de los Remedios
When in Velez Malaga, don’t miss a visit to a church entirely painted by the artist Evaristo Guerra.
This is the church of Nuestra Virgen de Los Remedios. It is worth a visit!
Experience Holy Week up close
A native of Velez-Malaga offers to live it from the inside as an experience. In this link you will find his offer (this experience is only possible for a few days a year and is done in groups of maximum 8 people!
Semana Santa Tour
Processions and itineraries 2023
In the following link you will find all the processions and itineraries (in Spanish) for Holy Week in Velez Malaga.
Where is Velez-Malaga?
Things to do in Velez-Malaga?
In the surroundings, it is possible to find very nice activities:
- horse riding, on the beach or in the mountains
- diving in Nerja and Torrox
- guided tours (villages of Axarquia, Cordoba, Alhambra,…)
- via ferrata (Caminito del Rey,…)
- hiking (El Saltillo with the hanging bridge,…)
- canyoning (in the rio Verde,…)
- visit of caves
Use the following link to access all the activities to do. during your holidays. This link provides you with all the details of each activity.
Enter the desired dates to check availability. During Holy Week, as elsewhere in Andalucia, it is advisable to book in advance.
Some useful links
Here is a great car rental agency in Andalusia and more specifically at Malaga airport : book a rental car.
Find out all about the most spectacular fair of the year in the province of Málaga: Malaga Fair
And finally, here are some other experiences to do around Velez Malaga
Discover other great places in Andalucia in the Andalucia blog pages.
Here is the link to receive our newsletter from the andaluciamia.com blog