Olive oil Feria Riogordo 2023 : The Molienda
The Molienda de Riogordo is an exceptional olive oil event
Here is what you can find out about the Molienda (old way of making olive oil) in Riogordo:
- A few words about Riogordo
- The dates of the Molienda
- The programme of the Molienda
- Where is Riogordo?
- What to do in Riogordo?
- Booking accommodation
- some useful links
A few words about Riogordo
The olive oil here is mainly made from the Verdial variety of olives, the emblem of upper Axarquia. It is the liquid gold of these villages.
The dates of the Molienda
Dates of the Riogordo Molienda: 25 and 26 February 2023
18 February : a dedicate day about olive oil in English.
The programme of the Molienda
- live cooking demonstrations (cooking workshops in the Riogordo etnographic museum)
- guided tours,
- miller’s breakfasts
- the use of a 16th century mill for the “molienda” of olives
- a visit to the olive groves
- the olive stone throwing competition!
- a market with local products
- a dance show
As an aside: If you’re interested in the olive harvest, olive oil production and how to taste and recognise good olive oil, here’s an idea,
A local and English speaking guide in Nerja and Torrox offers an olive oil excursion to discover and understand everything. I have some wonderful memories of this day.
Where is Riogordo?
What to do in Riogordo?
In the surroundings of the village, it is possible to find very nice activities:
- horse riding, on the beach or in the mountains
- diving in Nerja and Torrox
- guided tours (villages of Axarquia, Cordoba, Alhambra,…)
- via ferrata (Caminito del Rey,…)
- hiking (El Saltillo with the hanging bridge,…)
- canyoning (in the rio Verde,…)
- visit of caves
Use the following link to access all the activities to do. during your holidays. This link provides you with all the details of each activity.
Below you will find a direct link to the available accommodation in Riogordo and the surrounding area.
Some useful links
Here is the platform that lists all the main car rental agencies in Andalusia or more specifically at Malaga airport : book a rental car.
Find out all about the most spectacular fair of the year in the province of Málaga: The Malaga Fair
And finally, here are some other experiences to do Malaga province :
Discover other great places in Andalucia in the Andalucia blog pages.
Here is the link to receive our newsletter from the andaluciamia.com blog