Treasure cave in Rincon de la Victoria
A natural wonder
Discover the wonderful Treasure cave in Rincon de la Victoria
In this article you will find the essential information to visit the Treasure Cave in Rincon de la Victoria :
- A few words about Rincon de la Victoria and the treasure cave
- Legends and stories of the Treasure Cave – Cueva del Tesoro –
- The rooms of the Treasure Cave in Rincon de la Victoria
- Book Tickets for the Treasure Cave
- Where is the Treasure Cave?
- A music festival in the cave!
- Another great cave to visit in the area
- What to do in and around Rincon de la Victoria?
- Book accommodation in Rincon de la Victoria
- Some useful links
- Experiences to discover in the province of Málaga
A few words about Rincon de la Victoria and the treasure cave
The Treasure Cave in Rincon de la Victoria is a curiosity of nature that I invite you to discover.
There is few opportunity to be able to discover this type of cave. Indeed, it is a cave of marine origin. the cave of the treasure is one of only three known to date in the world and it is the only one in all of Europe.
Its galleries were sculpted by the swell and the marine currents.
Legend and history of the treasure cave
The real name of this cave is the Cueva del Higueron. However, locally everyone calls it the Cueva del Tesoro.
Axarquia, like all the rest of Andalucia, is a land with an incredible number of legends. These legends have at times given rise to quite funny true stories.
The legend of the treasure
Legend has it that this cave houses the treasure of the five Almoravid kings. The Almoravids were Saharan Berbers who dominated in the 12th and 13th centuries during the Al-Andalus period.
The last king Tesufín ibn Ali would have had this Arab treasure hidden in this cave and the treasure would then have fallen into oblivion.
As everywhere in Andalucia, there have been many seekers of Arab treasures that have never been found.
A true story
Among the most famous seekers (the one who in spite of giving him the nickname of Cueva del Tesoro), there is the Swiss who, in the XIXth century, Antonio de la Nari, will buy this cave. He will search for this famous treasure for 30 years until his death by accident. He died in the cave, during his research, wanting to open a new gallery with dynamite in 1847.
The halls of the Treasure Cave in Rincon de la Victoria
Noctiluca hall: Noctiluca is a Mediterranean goddess who was worshipped in ancient times. She is the goddess of fertility, life and death. Manuel Laza located the Phoenician sanctuary of Noctiluca in this hall after finding a baetylus.
Volcano hall: it is called this because it is the deepest hall in the cave and one feels a higher temperature when entering it.
The Swiss Well (Pozo del suizo): this hall is named after Antonio de la Nari, who searched for treasure in this cave for 30 years until he died.
Marcus Crassus hall: This hall served as a refuge for Marcus Crassus for 8 months in 86 BC to escape the persecutions of Marius and Cinna (facts recorded by Plutarch in “Parallel Lives”).
Eagle hall : it has this name because a stone looks like an eagle in this room. Marine sediments have been found here, as well as 2 rock paintings (a fish and a horse).
There are 2 other rooms: the lakes hall and the Virgin hall.
Tickets for the Treasure Cave
The town hall of Rincon de la Victoria offers on its web the possibility of: buying entrance tickets online.
photo credit: Rincon de la Victoria town hall
Where is the Treasure Cave?
A music festival in the cave!
Every year a music festival is held in the cave.
Another cave to discover in the surroundings
There is another fabulous cave to visit in the area.
It is the majestic Nerja cave, which allows you to discover one of the highest columns in the world. It is 33 metres high. Its diameter on the ground is 18 metres (it is located in the Cataclysm Room).
What to do in and around Rincon de la Victoria?
In the surroundings it is possible to find very nice activities:
- horse riding, on the beach or in the mountains
- diving in Nerja and Torrox
- guided tours (villages of Axarquia, Cordoba, Alhambra,…)
- via ferrata (Caminito del Rey,…)
- hiking (rio Chillar, El Saltillo with the hanging bridge,…)
- canyoning (in the rio Verde,…)
- visit of caves
Use the following link to access all the activities to do. This link provides you with all the details of each activity.
Book accommodation in Rincon de la Victoria
In the following link you can find out how to book a hotel room in Rincon de la Victoria.
Some useful links
Here is a great car rental agency in Andalusia and more specifically at Malaga airport : book a rental car.
If you are in Andalucia as part of a tour with several major cities to visit, here are some links that may be of interest:
- Discover must-sees before visiting Cordoba
- Visit Malaga on foot.
- All you need to know about Granada, the Alhambra, the Albaicin neighbourhood before visiting Granada
- If you are passing through the geographical centre of Andalusia, then you can visit the beautiful Antequera, with the incredible natural site of El Torcal right next door
Experiences to discover in the province of Málaga
Find more ideas for visits to authentic Andalusia: see the blog pages on Andalusia.
Here is the link to receive our newsletter from the andaluciamia.com blog
- Price: 4.75 €, over 64 years old or students or between 4 and 14 years old: 2.75 €
- Hours: summer: 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 4:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., winter: 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.