Frigiliana Three Cultures Festival 2023
Frigiliana organises the Festival of the 3 Cultures at the end of August every year
In this article you will find all the essential information about the Festival of the Three Cultures in Frigiliana:
- A few words about Frigiliana and the Festival of the 3 Cultures
- The dates of the festival
- Photo gallery during the festival
- The festival programme
- What to do in Frigiliana?
- Where is Frigiliana?
- Accommodation in Frigiliana
- Some useful links (car hire, …ideas for visits)
- Ideas for experiences in the province of Málaga
A few words about Frigiliana and the Festival of the 3 Cultures
The festival takes place in one of the most beautiful villages in Andalucia, in Frigiliana.
This village is just above Nerja, in Axarquia.
The festival of the 3 cultures of Frigiliana is the festival not to be missed in August, just after the Malaga Fair.
During 4 days, the cultures that marked medieval Spain are celebrated:
Visitors will discover these three great cultures: Christian, Muslim and Sephardic, through food, music, art and ancestral traditions.
The mayor of Frigiliana calls this festival the festival of sensations. During the festival, the daytime and evening programme of festivities is lived to the rhythm of the festival:
Sephardic Jewish culture
And the Christian culture. These 3 cultures have coexisted for many centuries in the village.
The dates of the festival of the 3 cultures
The dates of the festival of the three cultures 2022 in Frigiliana: from 25 to 28 August 2022
Photo gallery during the festival
Here are some photos taken during the different events that take place during these 4 days… and 4 nights
A parade in the Moorish neighbourhood :
The church of Saint Anthony of Padua, “dressed” in the colours of the 3 cultures:
The light show on the church starts at 10 pm.
Frigiliana, at night during the festival
The craft market allows you to discover several local pottery and ceramic artisans.
There are many parades in the streets during the day.
Here is a short video taken in a street:
The programme of the Festival of the Three Cultures in Frigiliana
Among the concerts, there will be an exceptional one by Omara Portuondo, a famous singer of 2 musical styles (son and bolero). She has been called the “diva of the Buena Vista Social Club”. She has sung with Ibrahim Ferrer and Compay Segundo. The concert will be held on Sunday 28 at 10 pm.
Finally, many international stars have already taken part in this festival, which has gained a good reputation. Manu Chao gave a fabulous concert in 2015.
During the festival you can enjoy the Ruta de la Tapa, to discover and eat tapas from different origins
What to do in and around Frigiliana ?
Activities near Frigiliana
In the surroundings it is possible to find very nice activities:
- horse riding, on the beach or in the mountains
- diving in Nerja and Torrox
- guided tours (villages of Axarquia, Cordoba, Alhambra,…)
- via ferrata (Caminito del Rey,…)
- hiking (El Saltillo with the hanging bridge,…)
- canyoning (in the rio Verde,…)
- visit of caves
Use the following link to access all the activities to do. during your holidays. This link provides you with all the details of each activity.
Where is Frigiliana?
Accommodation in Frigiliana
If you book in late August, it is advisable to book in advance to find a hotel room.
Some useful links
Here is a great car rental agency in Andalusia and more specifically at Malaga airport : book a rental car.
If you are in Andalucia as part of a tour with several major cities to visit, here are some links that may be of interest:
- Discover must-sees before visiting Cordoba
- Visit Malaga on foot.
- All you need to know about Granada, the Alhambra, the Albaicin neighbourhood before visiting Granada
- If you are passing through the geographical centre of Andalusia, then you can visit Antequera, with the incredible natural site of El Torcal right next door.
Experiences to discover in the province of Malaga
Find more ideas for visits to authentic Andalusia: see the blog pages on Andalucia.
Here is the link to receive our newsletter from the andaluciamia.com blog